Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentines from the Archives

In case I haven't mentioned it before, I love my alma mater, Smith College. One of my favorite places on campus was the College Archives...I remember doing a paper in my first-year English class where we had to use sources from the archives. How much fun to get to dig through alumnae's letters and scrapbooks to get a glimpse of what their lives were like. I think that motivated me to keep scrapbooks of my college days...the thought that they might someday end up in the archives, with some future student looking at them!
A lot has changed in the 20 years since I graduated...they now have a blog where they post some fascinating items from the archives. Today, they have a great post about Valentines & Candy, with some cool samples from scrapbooks from as far back as 1878! Check it out:
http://smitharchives.wordpress.com/2012/02/14/you-can-find-it-in-the-archives-valentines-and-candy/

No comments:

Post a Comment